cfk wrote:
> I can do a "modprobe 3c95x" and lsmod shows it is loaded. I can then do an
> "ifconfig eth0 up" and the interface is up (ping www.yahoo.com works).
>
> The file /etc/conf.d/net has two uncommented lines:
> iface_eth0="dhcp"
> gateway="eth0/10.10.10.1"
>
> I am suspecting that the netmount is the source of my confusion. Since
> "modprobe 3c59x" allows the interface to then work just fine, there may be a
> needed alias to tell the init script the PCI card for the ethernet interface
> is a 3Com. If I recall, in some other distributions, there is an alias file
> for modules and perhaps Gentoo is a little different then my previous
> understanding.

Is there any particular reason why you built 3c59x as a module as opposed to
in-kernel? If you had built it in-kernel, you would not be having these
problems - the kernel would just sort out the driver loading for you.

Anyway, assuming you _do_ have a reason why you want it as a module, then you
should add it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 assuming you are running a
2.6 kernel.

> p.s Why would "emerge vi" say "no ebuilds". I have nano, but not vi yet.

Try vim

> p.p.s. After this step, the "emerge kde" tells me that libtool.m4 has the
> wrong version and I need to run "libtoolize --copy --force". I run that, and
> get the error "configure.ac does nto exist, run libtoolize --help. Invoking
> "libtoolize --help" tells me I need to run it from the toplevel directory,
> which I assume to be where the source for libtool.m4 would be. Where would
> the default location for libtool be so I could run libtoolize properly, or
> should I "emerge <something_else", or "emerge <the_same_thing_again>"

Run emerge sync and try again. Which package is actually failing? I doubt it
is the "kde" package itself, it is probably one of its dependencies.

You are not expected to run libtoolize yourself. The ebuild in question should
handle this, but you may be running into a bug.

Daniel