On 04/03/11 20:04, Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 21:09:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
>>

>>> I wonder if we could put Linux on a old Vic-20?  I think I got one out
>>> in the old shed somewhere.
>>>
>> It's been done on a C-64, but I think a 3.5KB box with no mass storage
>> might be a little too challenging.
>>

> I had the little cassette thing to store my stuff on.  I think the OS
> in on a ROM which would be hard to get around unless the ROM was
> changed.  Then it may not really be a Vic-20 anymore.  I'm not sure
> about the C64 since I got me a 20Mhz oscilloscope to work on TVs and
> stuff.  I still got the scope tho.
>
> My biggest use for my old Vic-20 was a alarm clock.  Worked fine
> unless the power went out.  Well, that sounds like todays alarm
> clock.  lol   I guess some things never change.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

The ol' Vic-20 was my first computer as well.  I remember you had two
choices; boot from a cartridge (usually a game, Radar Rat Race was one
of my favourites), or boot from the internal O/S.  if you chose the
latter, you could (IIRC) issue a "load <program_name>" and it would go
to the cassette tape drive and start reading, so very very slowly, the
tape from the beginning and try to find a program with the name you
specified.  I had a subscription to "Compute" magazine, and entered the
programs from there in either Basic or binary, and was amazed at what it
could do.  I even tried to do some of my own programs in Basic, but at
about 6-8 years old, it was a bit beyond me.  :-P

Jake