On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 08:30:02AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 05:28 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Felix Miata
> did
> opine thusly:
>

> > Is it telling me I have to change my USE from -gtk to +gtk, or can emerging
> > one of those 8 packages listed satisfy the dep? IOW, it's unclear to me
> > what "One of the following packages" actually refers to.
>
> It's telling you that you must enable USE=gtk for libcanberra for that build
> to succeed. The chain of packages listed won't solve the problem, they are
> causing it.
>
> Easiest is to list gtk in USE in make.conf, then everything that uses gtk
> will
> link against it. If you are worried about Gnome, this wil not cause gnome to
> be installed, just gtk+

True, just be aware that if you enable gtk *globally* you will end up
building the gtk interface for absolutely everything which has that
option.
Far better (IMO, YMMV) is to use /etc/portage/package.use specify such things
per package. Unless, of course, you like having a gtk GUI for everything.
:)

--
caveat utilitor