On 2011/05/14 08:25 (GMT+0200) Alan McKinnon composed:

Felix Miata composed:

 emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
 ">=media-libs/libcanberra-0.4[gtk]".
 !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
 - media-libs/libcanberra-0.26 (Change USE: +gtk)
 (dependency required by "x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.5.0" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "virtual/notification-daemon-0[gnome]" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "x11-libs/libnotify-0.7.2" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "media-video/vlc-1.1.9[libnotify]" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.3.2" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "media-libs/phonon-4.5.0[vlc]" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.2-r3" [ebuild])
 (dependency required by "kde-misc/polkit-kde-kcmodules-0.98_pre20101127"
 [ebuild])
 <end screen output>

 Is it telling me I have to change my USE from -gtk to +gtk, or can emerging
 one of those 8 packages listed satisfy the dep? IOW, it's unclear to me
 what "One of the following packages" actually refers to.

It's telling you that you must enable USE=gtk for libcanberra for that build
to succeed. The chain of packages listed won't solve the problem, they are
causing it.

That's what I was afraid of, a "list" of one followed by a genuine list. :-(

Easiest is to list gtk in USE in make.conf, then everything that uses gtk will
link against it. If you are worried about Gnome, this wil not cause gnome to
be installed, just gtk+

Maybe someone can humor me and not go with the "easiest" route. Let's assume I could live without any Mozilla products or Gimp, and want a system free not just of Gnome but also of GTK. Let's say I'm deaf, and no speakers will ever be attached to the system, which has an onboard sound chip rather than a PCI sound card I could simply remove. What would it take to eliminate this apparent KDE dependence on GTK (and sound support)? How "portable" is a sound event library that makes KDE depend on GTK? For now, I've cut USE down to only "bash-completion ncurses samba slang xattr", but it hasn't helped me to get everything I need to work outside of X. Until I have working NFS and NUM state obeying the BIOS, I have little interest in what's required to make X functional, and no interest in audible notifications.

BTW, my 3rd kernel did solve my video on ttys problem, and get me access to my EXT2 partition. :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/