Apparently, though unproven, at 11:38 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Felix Miata did
opine thusly:

> On 2011/05/14 08:25 (GMT+0200) Alan McKinnon composed:
> > Felix Miata composed:
> >>  emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
> >>  ">=media-libs/libcanberra-0.4[gtk]".
> >>  !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> >>  - media-libs/libcanberra-0.26 (Change USE: +gtk)
> >>  (dependency required by "x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.5.0" [ebuild])
> >>  (dependency required by "virtual/notification-daemon-0[gnome]"
> >>  [ebuild]) (dependency required by "x11-libs/libnotify-0.7.2" [ebuild])
> >>  (dependency required by "media-video/vlc-1.1.9[libnotify]" [ebuild])
> >>  (dependency required by "media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.3.2" [ebuild])
> >>  (dependency required by "media-libs/phonon-4.5.0[vlc]" [ebuild])
> >>  (dependency required by "kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.2-r3" [ebuild])
> >>  (dependency required by
> >>  "kde-misc/polkit-kde-kcmodules-0.98_pre20101127" [ebuild])
> >>  <end screen output>
> >>
> >>  Is it telling me I have to change my USE from -gtk to +gtk, or can
> >>  emerging one of those 8 packages listed satisfy the dep? IOW, it's
> >>  unclear to me what "One of the following packages" actually refers to.
> >
> > It's telling you that you must enable USE=gtk for libcanberra for that
> > build to succeed. The chain of packages listed won't solve the problem,
> > they are causing it.
>
> That's what I was afraid of, a "list" of one followed by a genuine list.
> :-(

What's hard about it?

You have a failed dependency. The next logical question to ask is "what is the
dependency? What other package requires this package?"

The only way to answer that is to list them all recursively, all the way back
to the root of the tree.

In this case you need libcanberra built with USE=gtk
That depends on x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.5.0
Pulled in by virtual/notification-daemon-0 built with USE=gnome

and so on and so on. It's a simple graph actually.

> > Easiest is to list gtk in USE in make.conf, then everything that uses gtk
> > will link against it. If you are worried about Gnome, this wil not cause
> > gnome to be installed, just gtk+
>
> Maybe someone can humor me and not go with the "easiest" route. Let's
> assume I could live without any Mozilla products or Gimp, and want a
> system free not just of Gnome but also of GTK. Let's say I'm deaf, and no
> speakers will ever be attached to the system, which has an onboard sound
> chip rather than a PCI sound card I could simply remove. What would it
> take to eliminate this apparent KDE dependence on GTK (and sound support)?
> How "portable" is a sound event library that makes KDE depend on GTK? For
> now, I've cut USE down to only "bash-completion ncurses samba slang
> xattr", but it hasn't helped me to get everything I need to work outside
> of X. Until I have working NFS and NUM state obeying the BIOS, I have
> little interest in what's required to make X functional, and no interest
> in audible notifications.

First of all, I don't know what you want. Only you know what you want.

KDE does not depend on GTK here. Reading the above list from the bottom up:

You want KDE, so you get kdelibs. That gives you phonon with vlc support. vlc
(not a KDE package) is configured to use libnotify, which is a gnome package
and needs notification-daemon. THAT requires gtk.

Lets back up a bit. With something like Ubuntu, someone (the package
maintainer) went through a insanely gigantic amount of ball-ache to figure out
the dependencies and switch stuff on and off so that you never have to deal
with this. The downside is that you get whatever the maintainer felt you
should have.

gentoo is different - you are in complete control. This means that you have to
go through the insanely gigantic ball-ache work yourself. The ebuilds help
somewhat with USE flags, so with "USE=-gnome -gtk" you could disable all
optional gnome and gtk dependencies. Sometimes you get a hard dependency that
isn't optional, in that case you are SOL and must make a decision whether to
have gnome or not. Either way, you get to choose, and you also get to have to
think long and hard first.

Back to your list.

The little fucker that is causing your issue is vlc support and libnotify.

Do you want these? Define what you want exactly, and enable or disable USE
flags to suit your choices.

Do keep in mind that I can't tell you what to do because you haven't really
defined what you want yet. I could tell you to add
"-gnome -gtk -vlc -libnotify"
to USE in /etc/make.conf and that would certainly obliterate gnome for sure.
But it might also be overreaching.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com