On Saturday 14 May 2011 11:21:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 11:38 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Felix Miata
> did
>
> opine thusly:
> > On 2011/05/14 08:25 (GMT+0200) Alan McKinnon composed:
> > > Felix Miata composed:

> > > It's telling you that you must enable USE=gtk for libcanberra for that
> > > build to succeed. The chain of packages listed won't solve the problem,
> > > they are causing it.
[snip... wise advice from Alan ...]

> Do keep in mind that I can't tell you what to do because you haven't really
> defined what you want yet. I could tell you to add
> "-gnome -gtk -vlc -libnotify"
> to USE in /etc/make.conf and that would certainly obliterate gnome for
> sure. But it might also be overreaching.

If you want libcanberra and therefore you must have USE="gtk", but you do not
want to have any other packages compiled with the gtk USE flag, you can define
it only for the package in question by adding a line in
/etc/portage/package.use like so:

media-libs/libcanberra gtk -oss

to e.g. enable the gtk and disable the oss flags.

To see whether a flag has been set or not and relevant information about it,
run:

euse -i <flag>

For libcanberra it shows:

[- cD ] gtk (media-libs/libcanberra):
Enables building of gtk+ helper library, gtk+ runtime sound effects and the
canberra-gtk-play utility. To enable the gtk+ sound effects add canberra-gtk-
module to the colon separated list of modules in the GTK_MODULES environment
variable.

Use option -I to see which packages have been installed using a particular
flag.  Have a look in man euse to decipher the symbols.

To see all the flags for a particular package after it has been installed run:

equery uses libcanberra
[ Searching for packages matching libcanberra... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[        : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for media-libs/libcanberra-0.26 ]
 U I
 + + alsa       : Adds support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture)
 - - gstreamer  : Adds support for media-libs/gstreamer (Streaming media)
 + + gtk        : Adds support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
 - - oss        : Adds support for OSS (Open Sound System)
 - - pulseaudio : Adds support for PulseAudio sound server
 - + sound      : Enable sound support
 - - tdb        : Enables Trivial Database support for caching purposes.

You can also check flags and (r)dependencies on line:

http://gentoo-portage.com/Browse

> > BTW, my 3rd kernel did solve my video on ttys problem, and get me access
> > to my EXT2 partition. :-)

Have you read and applied http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml to find
out how to configure your card and xorg?
--
Regards,
Mick