On 2011/05/14 10:06 (GMT-0400) Willie Wong composed:

The above listing shows that phonon will be built with the "vlc" use
flag, so clearly you haven't trimmed USE down to "just"
bash-completion, ncurses, samba, slang, xattr. In fact, if you had
done so you would've also trimmed out cxx, posix, and threads, which
would probably not be the best idea.

The timestamp on my make.conf(.07) file on display at http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/ shows a last written considerably earlier than I last wrote, but ...

So for concreteness, can you post the complete USE list, _not_ the
list in /etc/make.conf, since that does not show you the USE enabled
*by default* on whichever profile you have chosen to use. To get the

Of this I was totally unaware. So now I know I probably should not have selected the kde profile on first try, but instead selected a minimal and only after being happy with the basics changing to kde.

Does [1] default/linux/x86/10.0 from 'eselect profile list' amount to a "minimal" install (no X)? If so, is there any reason not to switch to it instead of setting -vlc, and then later when actually ready to enable X, switching back to kde?

What is the [7] hardened/linux/x86 profile, or better yet, the incantation to get descriptions descriptions of all the available targets?

list of all USE flags, try
   emerge --info

About 1.6 screens full, including what looks like a bazillion things in USE=. It looks like USE= ends with zlib, and then until the appearance of Unset:, everything in between is appended without any newlines, among them, PHP_TARGETS, GPSD_PROTOCOLS & APACHE2. Yikes! http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/emergeinfo1.txt

In this particular case, you can consider adding "-vlc" to your USE
and try again.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/