Apparently, though unproven, at 15:14 on Sunday 15 May 2011, Dale did opine
thusly:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 May 2011 05:34:07 -0500, Dale wrote:
> >> I updated my kernel and had to reboot.  I usually boot to single user
> >> mode and rebuild my video drivers.
> >
> > Why not rebuild them before you reboot? It's far more convenient.
>
> But that doesn't fix the problem I posted.  There are times when I need
> to boot to something besides the default runlevel.  Right now, I can't
> do that so I want to fix it so that I can boot to another runlevel.

Like what for instance?

I can't remember the last time I needed single user mode. In excess of 4 years
methinks. It would appear that you are doing something wrong and taking
unneccessary steps to accomplish something.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com