On Sunday 15 May 2011 16:39:19 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 May 2011 11:34:07 Dale wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I updated my kernel and had to reboot.  I usually boot to single user
> >> mode and rebuild my video drivers.  Since I have this in my grub list, I
> >> just select single user and it boots to single user mode.  Well, not any
> >> more.  This is my current settings:
> >>
> >> title Gentoo
> >> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3
> >>
> >> title Gentoo boot level
> >> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=boot
> >>
> >> title Gentoo single user
> >> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=single
> >>
> >> root@fireball / #
> >>
> >> I went back and looked at the guide but no mention of this.  I don't see
> >> anything in the man pages either.  What is the correct way to define a
> >> runlevel to boot to in grub with the new openrc?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >
> > According to my /etc/inittab:
> >
> > # new-style single-user
> > su0:S:wait:/sbin/rc single
> > su1:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin
> >
> > so softlevel=single should get you there.  However, you say it doesn't
> >
> > # rc-update show single
> > #
> >
> > Hmm ... nothing there.  Sure enough its empty:
> >
> > $ ls -la /etc/runlevels/single/
> > total 8
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 21  2010 .
> > drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 May  2 10:54 ..
> >
> > So, what you would need to do I think is add the services you want
> > starting at single runlevel there and you should be good to go.
>
> There never has been anything in my single user runlevel.  It worked
> fine a few weeks ago but after the openrc upgrade, no more worky.
>
> The funny thing is, I can go to a console and type in rc single, that
> works fine.  It goes to single user mode with no errors.  Well, I did
> notice top showed the ttys still running.  I'm going to test that
> later.  That may be another thread for another day.  Sort of beating on
> one thing at a time.  ;-)
>
> I just thought maybe it changed from softlevel to something else but if
> it did, I can't find it documented anywhere and even Google appears to
> be lost on this.
>
> Open to ideas still.

The so called 'single' softlevel is a Gentoo fix for user specified runlevels
with their own selected services.  I don't have a pre-OpenRC box to check that
it linked to, but I seem to remember that it went to runlevel 3 and adjusted
services from there.

The standard Linux runlevel called also single (confusing isn't it) stops
before runlevel 3 and asks for a root passwd (or Control+D to continue).  It
can be called by appending 1 or S to the boot line.

If you don't want to have to login with a password then I think you need to
append 'init=/bin/bash' and mount as rw what fs you need to work on.  You'll
have to sync and umount before you reboot to be safe.

Could also work with 'init=/bin/bb' for busybox - but I'm not sure.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick