Mick wrote:
On Sunday 15 May 2011 11:34:07 Dale wrote:
Hi,

I updated my kernel and had to reboot.  I usually boot to single user
mode and rebuild my video drivers.  Since I have this in my grub list, I
just select single user and it boots to single user mode.  Well, not any
more.  This is my current settings:

title Gentoo
kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3

title Gentoo boot level
kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=boot

title Gentoo single user
kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=single

root@fireball / #

I went back and looked at the guide but no mention of this.  I don't see
anything in the man pages either.  What is the correct way to define a
runlevel to boot to in grub with the new openrc?

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)
According to my /etc/inittab:

# new-style single-user
su0:S:wait:/sbin/rc single
su1:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

so softlevel=single should get you there.  However, you say it doesn't ...

# rc-update show single
#

Hmm ... nothing there.  Sure enough its empty:

$ ls -la /etc/runlevels/single/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 21  2010 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 May  2 10:54 ..

So, what you would need to do I think is add the services you want starting at
single runlevel there and you should be good to go.

There never has been anything in my single user runlevel. It worked fine a few weeks ago but after the openrc upgrade, no more worky.

The funny thing is, I can go to a console and type in rc single, that works fine. It goes to single user mode with no errors. Well, I did notice top showed the ttys still running. I'm going to test that later. That may be another thread for another day. Sort of beating on one thing at a time. ;-)

I just thought maybe it changed from softlevel to something else but if it did, I can't find it documented anywhere and even Google appears to be lost on this.

Open to ideas still.

Dale

:-)  :-)