On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 20:12, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel da Veiga wrote:
>
>> I have a similar entry, but have never used the softlevel= flag, I simply
>> append "single" at the end of the kernel call and it boots in single user
>> (root password or ctrl+d to continue).
>>

> I did get this to work:
>
> title Gentoo single user
> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 rw single
>
> So, all I need now is to figure out how to get this work:
>

> title Gentoo boot level
> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=boot
>
> It appears the softlevel= is no longer working with the new openrc.  It
> looks like the docs need to be updated.  I also tried init= and it doesn't
> work either.
>
> Time to go farther up the food chain I guess. The docs need to be changed
> at least.

Updated docs are always good, but I wonder why do you need this.
If I need single user I simply press "e", edit the line and add single,
followed by a "b" to boot. That is a for maintenance only so I really don't
see a need for it at grub menu, same wth the other runlevels, all you gotta
do is append "nox" or use Interactive (again, this is only if something is
broken, I can't see myself doing this twice in a week)...

--
Daniel da Veiga