David W Noon wrote:
Not a problem.  In fact, it is not I (or Indi) who is causing the
breakage.

A little further investigation has shown that the Message-ID: line of
all message posted through the Gentoo list server is rewritten,
regardless of its initial value.  This is why correctly posted messages
have the Bastard Operator From Hell designation: the domain name of
Gentoo's list server is bofh.it.  This also means that those who read
this list's messages via email will always see a valid Message-ID: line.

Now, one other possible cause of message id mismatch is people posting
directly to Usenet as well as through the list server.  All NNTP
servers should have the newsgroup that is a reflection of this mailing
list marked as "no posting allowed"; certainly
news.eternal-september.org is configured that way.  However, if a
misposted message gets through from another Usenet-registered NNTP
server, I will see it with the alternate Message-ID: line, not the one
generated by the Gentoo list server.  It is messages such as this that
cause the breakage in threads when somebody (anybody) reading through
an NNTP server posts a follow-up to such a message.

So, when you see a breakage in a message thread, it is the message that
is the tail-end of the original thread that is causing the breakage,
not the message that apparently starts the new thread.

I hope all is clear now.

Oh, so when it gets broken, I need to find the message before that to see where it got messed up. Sorry to use the technical term "messed up" but it fits rather well. lol

Dale

:-)  :-)