I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
power requirements would also be minimized.

Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg might
not be ready for primetime:

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap

There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:

http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm

but from what I've read it isn't ideal.  Besides Xorg multiseat I've
read about LTSP and a few others:

http://www.ltsp.org
http://www.thinstation.org
http://automseat.sourceforge.net
http://www.openthinclient.org

There are also a lot of proprietary options.  Is LTSP the way to go?

- Grant