Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
> >> keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
> >> The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
> >> power requirements would also be minimized.

ATI make quad head video cards. If you do not need fancy graphics,
the cost is very reasonable. the easiest thing is to get a multi
head card, with keyboard and mouse ports for each monitor port,
if they are still manufactured. If not, get dual head cards complete
with mouse and keyboard ports.

http://www.multiplemonitors.org/Pages - Hardware/Hardware - Multi head Video
cards.html

Or you might want to consider an open hardware board, complete with
video chip as an extremely low power/cost option. My favorite is:

http://www.pandaboard.org/
gentoo runs on this board -->
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
(see ch9 under boards)