On Sunday 29 Jan 2012 05:26:28 Grant wrote:
> I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
> keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
> The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
> power requirements would also be minimized.
>
> Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg might
> not be ready for primetime:
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
> http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap
>
> There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:
>
> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
>
> but from what I've read it isn't ideal.  Besides Xorg multiseat I've
> read about LTSP and a few others:
>
> http://www.ltsp.org
> http://www.thinstation.org
> http://automseat.sourceforge.net
> http://www.openthinclient.org
>
> There are also a lot of proprietary options.  Is LTSP the way to go?

It may be, but as with all thin client models you would need a terminal
computer for each user.

If you only have one machine and monitors, keyboards and mice for each user
then you'll need multiple video cards (and a strong power supply) for your
only PC.  In this case something like http://automseat.sourceforge.net may be
more appropriate.  However, I have not used anything like this set up to offer
an opinion on performance.

At work we use thin clients running Debian to serve MSWindows server desktop
and apps to users.  This setup uses the Citrix ica protocol, but I'm thinking
that FreeNX coupled with VNC or relevant KDE or Gnome remote desktop
implementation would probably work nicely and offer LAN and remote connection
security at the same time.
--
Regards,
Mick