I've been in the same situation a short time ago.
Finally I decided to buy a cheap notebook (ASUS AMD 1GHz, 8 Gb RAM)
for 265 Euro, only -- running Gentoo, of course.
I've installed a private wireless network.
So my wife can sit anywhere and she can still connect to our "family
server" if she likes.

If I had to buy a monitor, graphics card, keyboard and a better
power supply, that would have beeen more expensive.
Furthermore the notebook solution is more flexible.

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik