Manually bringing up eth0 using ifconfig got me up and running. It's
quite shaky though. net.eth0 does not work any more and of course
neither does sshd or any other service that requires net.eth*. Thanks
Michael.

>> If they're supposed to be configured via DHCP, try "dhclient
>> $interface_name". If they're supposed to be statically configured, try
>> using ifconfig to configure them manually.

Now that I have internet connection, I am not sure what my line of
action should be.

N.