I don't get You at this point. I'll have to start ''emerge --emptytree
system'', wait until it crashes, run ''fix_libtool_files.sh'' and run
''emerge --emptytree system'' ones more, hoping that it won't crash this
time?

No, after the fix_libtool_files.sh run, you do the "emerge --resume" to have it pick up where it left off.

> So which distribution would you suggest me to install during less than > 4
> days? I'm wondering about Slackware.

You can still stick with gentoo ;-)

If you don't have the time to watch over the stage 1 build process, you can
jump straight to a stage 3 then update packages from there.

Well, that's the same ads installing Fedora (within 2 hours).

We as a community do not like to see people abandoning Gentoo for the likes of fedora or slack.

That said, there are folks for whom the binary distributions are more appropriate than gentoo. You will lose the fine-grained control over the packages that are installed as well as an in-depth understanding of what linux actually is, and you'll also be tied to their release cycles, etc.

Gentoo just seems daunting to the uninitiated; once you get the feel for the tools and with the full backing of the community, I think you would find gentoo is just what you're looking for.