Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> [14-12-20 02:47]:
> meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> [14-12-19 17:08]:
> >> I don't recall ever running fix_libtool_files.sh after switching gcc
> >> versions.  Usually when I see a gcc upgrade, I emerge it, switch to it
> >> and the usual profile thing, run emerge -e world JUST to be safe, then
> >> unmerge the old gcc.  That's all I usually do here.  I have skipped the
> >> emerge -e world a time or two.
> >>
> >> Am I just lucky, not likely as some may know, or does emerge -e world
> >> catch it or what?  Now I'm curious.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >>

> > Hi Dale,
> >
> > I started compiling the new gcc this morning about ~7:00 AM...just a
> > few minutes ago stage3 finishes. Now ... before doing anything else...
> > I am makeing a backup of all that, so...if anything fails...I am able
> > to reinstall the status quo.
> >
> > I will keep you informed, what happens to my little embedded system...
> >
> > Best
> > Meino
> >

> That's the thing about slow systems, you want to do it right the first
> time because it takes to much time to repeat something.  Heck, I have a
> 4 core AMD CPU with 16GBs of ram here and I still would rather do it
> right the first time.  If you have something slow that takes days to do
> something, you really want plan A to work.
>
> I'm also wondering if there have been changes to emerge that could make
> a difference.  I run the latest unstable non *9999 version.  I sorta
> like having all the new improvements.  I'm just not sure if that affects
> the issue here is all.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hi,

after a few more non-booting-systems and backup-reinstalls I think
I know whats the reason is...but by I dont know how to get out of it:

The system becomes inaccessible if I do an env-update and reboot.

Reason for that are binaries, in which the path to the old gcc is
hardcoded. With the sdcard mounted I checked that with my PC:
I did a

    grep -r '\/usr\/lib\/gcc\/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi\/4.7.3'

on ALL files of the sdcard and found "thousands" of hardcoded links
to the old gcc inside binaries...

The new gcc installed but not doing env-update implies that any
further compilation will link to the old gcc.

Doing env-update implies a system which will not survive the next
reboot.

What now?

Best regards,
Meino