Matti Nykyri <matti.nyk...@iki.fi> [14-12-20 19:48]:
> > On Dec 20, 2014, at 17:56, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> [14-12-20 02:47]:

> >> That's the thing about slow systems, you want to do it right the first
> >> time because it takes to much time to repeat something.  Heck, I have a
> >> 4 core AMD CPU with 16GBs of ram here and I still would rather do it
> >> right the first time.  If you have something slow that takes days to do
> >> something, you really want plan A to work.
> >>
> >> I'm also wondering if there have been changes to emerge that could make
> >> a difference.  I run the latest unstable non *9999 version.  I sorta
> >> like having all the new improvements.  I'm just not sure if that affects
> >> the issue here is all.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > after a few more non-booting-systems and backup-reinstalls I think
> > I know whats the reason is...but by I dont know how to get out of it:
> >
> > The system becomes inaccessible if I do an env-update and reboot.
> >
> > Reason for that are binaries, in which the path to the old gcc is
> > hardcoded. With the sdcard mounted I checked that with my PC:
> > I did a
> >
> >    grep -r '\/usr\/lib\/gcc\/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi\/4.7.3'
> >
> > on ALL files of the sdcard and found "thousands" of hardcoded links
> > to the old gcc inside binaries...
> >
> > The new gcc installed but not doing env-update implies that any
> > further compilation will link to the old gcc.
> >
> > Doing env-update implies a system which will not survive the next
> > reboot.
> >
> > What now?
>
> If i understand your situation correctly, do:
>
> gcc-config "to set the new version"
> env-update
> logout
> login
> emerge --deep --update world
> emerge --depclean
> revdep-rebuild
>
> This will take a long time but will get your system working again. If you
> don't wan't to do that you can of course tweak the libraries with binary
> tools. That is easy if you know what you are doing.
>
> To prevent this in the future always before world update, update gcc and
> glibc first if tere is a new version available. Gcc-config is crusial after
> you have installed a bew version of gcc.
>
> --
> -Matti

Hi Matti,

not exactly...
The sequence you show looks like this in my case:
 gcc-config "to set the new version"
 env-update
 reboot
 logina attempt: impossible...system does not respond anymore

 The reason is, that env-update updates to the new compiler,
 while some [CENSORED] system tools/application are hardcoded
 to use the old compiler libraries...

 If I do a

    env-update --no-ldconfig

 then I am able to reboot successfully...but compilation
 will be done against the old compiler a fear...

 I am installing the backup the fourth time today and I am
 curious, when the first bad sectors of my sdcard will hit me...

 Best regards,
 Meino