On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08/10/2016 06:54 AM, hw wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I´m trying to upgrade portage because I´m getting a message that it
>> needs to be able to work with EAPI 6 packages and can only do EAPI 5.
>>
>> I´m running into merge conflicts when trying to update portage, and
>> apparently one of the packages (dev-python/cryptography) I could try
>> to update first to be able to update portage requires a version of
>> portage that can handle EAPI 6 packages.
>>

> Try the other suggestions first -- but as a last resort -- you can
> always grab a new stage3 that should contain an updated version of
> portage and simply overwrite the portage files on your machine. A
> quickpkg from another Gentoo machine (or the liveCD?) would also work.

A cleaner solution would be to just sync a snapshot of the Gentoo repo
from the past.

Pick snapshots every few months and emerge -u @system, and repeat that
until you're caught up.  The only issue is if it needs to download a
patch that is no longer available.

In general Gentoo does not support infrequently updating systems.  You
don't need to update every day, or even every month.  However, when
you're going more than six months at a time without an update you're
almost certain to have problems.

EAPI6 support was available in stable portage in Jan 2016.  The
version of portage you're running predates the git migration which was
a year ago, but fortunately by not a whole lot more than that.

Here is a guide:
cd /usr
mv portage portage-old                  # for safekeeping - you can go
back to rsync later if you want
mkdir portage
cd portage
git clone --no-checkout https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo.git .
git checkout 56bd759df1d0c750a065b8c845e93d5dfa6b549d     # Aug 8 2015
emerge -u @system
git checkout 1e65133983f404ea64079df0933dd820619a9b44     # Nov 1 2015
emerge -u @system
git checkout 47b868a553171134807fc949d2b84c2dc31b0477     # Feb 2 2016
emerge -u @system

By now you're into EAPI6 territory.  Hopefully you can get to the
present directly, but I can give you a few more commits if necessary.
I didn't test those out on an old system, so you might still run into
issues.  I won't promise that this won't be a bumpy ride.

When you're done you can swap out portage and portage-old.

And try to stay more current with updates...  If you really know what
you're doing you can update ancient systems, but it sounds like you
want something that "just works" and on Gentoo this is not something
that just works.

--
Rich