On 16/08/2016 14:13, hw wrote:
> So after all, Gentoo seemed the least-bad choice with some arguments for
> it.
> Now it turns out that you can´t update it without running into problems all
> the time, and currently not at all.

No, that is absolutely not true.

You have to understand that you must accept Gentoo on it's own terms and
realize what it is.

Here are some things that Gentoo IS NOT:

- A replacement for Debian/Centos with the same ease of maintenance
- A trouble-free distro
- A distro with assurances that the devs won't break it
- Suitable for production use without a QA system behind it

Gentoo is not for any of those cases. Gentoo is built by people who want
to customize or build a system that no-one else offers and you as the
user have to take that mindset as well.

With Gentoo, you own a race-car. It needs constant fiddling to keep it
happy and if you leave it in the garage for 6 months it complains very
very loudly.

I've been reading this thread all along, and one thing is clear to me:

Gentoo is not for you (unless you change your expectations), it does not
do what yu want and likely never will. You need a binary distro.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com