On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 16:08:34 +0200, hw wrote:

>  infrequently update Gentoo because I´m *always* running into problems
> like this.

Every time, or is that just hyperbole?

>  'Infrequently' means about every 3 months at home, and not
> since, IIRC, 2015-02 here at work.  The last update at home got stalled
> because perl cannot be updated, and I haven´t had the time to look into
> that to finish it.

Problems like this are usually resolved quickly. Syncing and updating a
couple of days later would probably have sorted it.

> The other reason is that it takes time to update the kernel when a new
> one comes along, so updating like every week is not feasible.  And I
> don´t want to reboot all the time.

You don't need to boot into every new kernel that hits portage. As long
as your current kernel has no security issues you can stick with it.
Plenty of people use Gentoo with only the LTS kernels.

> Besides, I don´t want to update too frequently because there may issues
> with new versions of software.

If you use the stable arch, you don't get brand new versions. Packages
are normally a month old before they hit stable.

> If you say that you need to update more frequently than every 3 months
> for not to have problems with the update process itself, I can only
> conclude that Gentoo is entirely unsuited for servers --- and for home
> use as well other than for test machines perhaps.

It may be more a case of Gentoo being unsuited for you, your
expectations and your preferred way of working. In fact, any rolling
release distros sounds like it won't be right for you.

--
Neil Bothwick

Failure is not an option...it is integrated with every Microsoft product.