On 08/12/2016 07:26 AM, hw wrote:
Michael Orlitzky schrieb:
On 08/10/2016 06:54 AM, hw wrote:

Hi,

I´m trying to upgrade portage because I´m getting a message that it
needs to be able to work with EAPI 6 packages and can only do EAPI 5.

I´m running into merge conflicts when trying to update portage, and
apparently one of the packages (dev-python/cryptography) I could try
to update first to be able to update portage requires a version of
portage that can handle EAPI 6 packages.

Try the other suggestions first -- but as a last resort -- you can
always grab a new stage3 that should contain an updated version of
portage and simply overwrite the portage files on your machine. A
quickpkg from another Gentoo machine (or the liveCD?) would also work.

I´m trying to update a production server here.  If I overwrite the whole
system, who knows what might break.  I can take it down for a few
hours in the evening unless I want to work over night, which is not
really an option.

There must be a way to update a Gentoo installation without breaking it.
As wonderful as it otherwise is, updating Gentoo is always a nightmare
which
makes me very seriously consider not to use it anymore.  Updating needs to
be easy and flawless and not something you always run into weird issues
with.

When I run gentoo as a critical server, I always have a second, redundant system pretty much identical, on stanby. I upgrade the stanby first and run it a few days, then the production system. It makes reliability extraordinarily high. But, the again, I do a version of the
same thing with all critical systems, or I do not work on them. Granted,
as  successful consultant, I have that luxury.

Did they recently make a new liveDVD?

A few months ago.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng/LiveDVD/20160514

Perhaps a better solution is to make a stage-4, of your current gentoo
(production) system, verify that the stage-4 works by using it to install a similar system, test and deploy. And then hack or fix the production system, during the daytime, at your leisure?

Stage-4 gentoo systems have been around a long time. Documentation varies and most have their own 'home spun' approach to stage-4 replicant systems, backups etc etc.

hth,
James