On 2016-12-07, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your problem is that the box seems to have not been updated in a
> long while. That is always tricky.

That's putting it mildly.  Gentoo works far, far better if you update
frequently.  On most systems I update a couple times a week. Those
systems have been mostly trouble free for many, many years.

OTOH, there have been a couple systems where I didn't update for 6+
months. That rarely went smoothly, and took _way_ more time than a
fresh install would have.  [But sometimes you head-butt your way
through the wall just to prove you can.]

IMO, if you only want to update a system once or twice a year, Gentoo
is not a good choice -- unless you just want to do a fresh install
each time.  In my experience, a fresh install is usually far less work
than an update after an extended period of time.  But, doing a "fresh
install" as an upgrade takes a bit of planning and orginization.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Gibble, Gobble, we
                                  at               ACCEPT YOU ...