On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am 20.12.2016 um 05:23 schrieb Andrej Rode:
>>
>> Yeah they make life easier. From your talk you never had a problem
>> with eth<0,10> switching names after boot. Everyone who had them
>> appreciates predictable network interfaces.
>
> Everyone who had them could learn how to write simple udev rules to
> get fixed eth<0,10> names after every boot. No systemd and no
> "predictable" names necessary.
>
> Nevertheless I'm still wondering what's so predictable at those
> incomprehensible, cryptic device names anyway. And I don't want to
> know that.

The predictable interface names (the systemd developers have an
unfortunate knack for misnaming ) arose for a multi-NIC world where

1) the kernel's ethX name for a particular NIC can change from one
boot to another

2) udev renaming NICs "ethX" can break if you rename a NIC "eth4" and
the kernel later names another NIC "eth4" as it enumerates the
hardware.

Given the above, the udev maintainers could've implemented a policy
that a NIC couldn't be renamed "ethX" but they decided no longer to
default to MAC-based naming rules and came up with naming based on
whether a NIC is an on-board one (enoX), a PCI Express one (ensX), a
PCI one (enpXsY), etc. In doing so, they defaulted to names that are
more complex than the kernel's (ethX) but you can now replace a NIC
without editing a file under "/etc/udev/rules.d/".