On 04/04/2017 01:26 AM, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 03 Apr 2017 20:21:28 the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> The new box I installed in remote location has a problem obtaining IP
>> address.  The box was working perfectly on my local LAN.
>>
>> In remote location I assigned static IP to it 10.10.0.5
>
> Where and how?  At the router IP address table, against the PC's MAC address?
>
> At the PC itself using a static IP address and gateway in /etc/conf.d/net?

The remote location router runs DD-WRT (dhcpd), so all static IP's are assigned
via DD-WRT and MAC address.

>> Previously this IP was assigned to a Virtual Box but I no longer use it,
>> so I assign this IP to a new box.
>>
>> The box was working for a day, but now when I boot the box I get
>> - soliciting a DHCP lease
>> - carrier lost
>
> The "carrier lost" error indicates a link going down.  The lease renewal is
> likely to fail at least while the link is down.  The link failure may be due
> to an electrical hard fault, e.g. faulty Cat5e cable, RJ45 socket/plug; or
> due
> to high electromagnetic interference.  Check the router stats for carrier
> lost
> errors.  If the counters show the link is being dropped regularly you should
> try to eliminate each component in the circuit the cause of the fault.

The cable tester I have (cheap) is showing the CAT5 cable is OK.
http://www.primecables.com/p-309139-cab-ss35407-tester-network-cable-tester-crimping-tools-combo-for-rj-45-rj-11-primecables?gclid=CJzU2JKJi9MCFQYMaQodEyIHeA

>> Could the old IP get stuck somewhere in DD-WRT router?
>>
>> ping 10.10.0.5 - gives me no response.
>
> You may find arping a better instrument for investigating the use of IP
> addresses in your LAN.
>

>> The Cat5 is about 15-20meter long, I test it with a cable tester, it is
>> good (all the lights light up in correct order).
>> Cable is plugged in into a new switch.
>
> Long cables are more susceptible to electromagnetic interference - keep their
> runs separate from mains cables.

Shouldn't CAT5 be able to handle 100m run?
Am not sure I understand, "keep their runs separate from mains cables"?

Electromagnetic interference - could be a problem, and it is hard to
troubleshoot.

--
Thelma