On 04/04/2017 02:49 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
> No, if you have the same wrong on both sides, the LEDs will still show
> correct blinking order. Think of it like this: If you use order
> 7-5-3-1-2-4-6-8 on both sides, blinking LED 1 on one side will blink
> the same LED on the other side because they both connect to wire 7. But
> the twisted pairs that should be twisted are no longer because now you
> connected pair 1 in the connector to wire 7 and 5 which belong to
> different pairs in the wire. The wire twists pair (7,8) and (4,5). On
> the long run, interference now cannot be canceled out because this
> only works if wires are twisted in the same pair. The connector (and
> ethernet standard) expects the following pairs on the connector:
>
> A-A-B-C-C-B-D-D
> 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
>
> For electrical reasons it also expects a white wire alternating with a
> colored pair, which makes the following pairs:
>
> A = (1,2)
> B = (3,6)
> C = (5,4)
> D = (7,8)
>
> Or:
>
> A-a B c-C b D-d
>     ^_____^
>
> With the capital letters being either all white or all colored (this
> doesn't depend as long as it's the same on both sides).
>
> You could open the problematic wall outlets and check the cabling
> yourself. Keep in mind that unmounting the wall outlet may make the
> problem of bent cables even worse due to moving and bending the wires
> even more.

I'll pitch in one interesting thing of note: the local supplier here
went with el-cheapo Chinese made punch down and crimp ends some years
ago. These are supposed to be 22 AWG wire size, but after dealing with
bad connections I found out these Chinese punch downs were more like
24-26 AWG, meaning when punched down it would not make proper contact
with the properly spec'ed wire.

Dan