On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:

> The objectives of RHL and Poettering are not necessarily aligned
> with mine.  For example, as I was installing sys-apps/systemd-tmpfiles I
> noticed systemd selecting as default DNS and NTP servers belonging to Google.
> Not something I would consciously use on my non cloud-hosted/server-farm
> administered laptop.

I think their intent is for distros to tailor such things to their
intended uses.  Having a default to fall back to Google DNS/NTP is
probably a good choice for a distro oriented to home-use/etc.  I think
resolved still gets configured to use the DHCP-provided DNS server by
default and uses Google as a backup to this.

In any case, the behavior is configurable at build-time so distros
would be expected to adjust it.  A google backup probably doesn't make
sense in an environment where you run a central DNS, especially if you
host internal DNS/etc.

The behavior is also runtime-configurable, assuming you know that you
need to adjust it.  First you can always just set your own resolv.conf
and glibc does its thing.  If you still want to use resolved then you
can also configure its runtime config.

Getting back to you thinking RHL's needs aren't aligned to your own,
you might consider that RHL doesn't actually ship systemd with the
upstream defaults.  Assuming CentOS follows them the latest systemd
source rpm I could find from them contains:
-Dntp-servers='0.%{ntpvendor}.pool.ntp.org 1.%{ntpvendor}.pool.ntp.org
2.%{ntpvendor}.pool.ntp.org 3.%{ntpvendor}.pool.ntp.org'
-Ddns-servers=''

So, they're tailoring RHEL for the corporate environment, and they're
not making the systemd upstream follow their own internal needs, even
though they're the ones paying for much of it.  They made the upstream
default one that probably would appeal to most community distros.

--
Rich