On Tuesday 19 December 2006 00:24, Grant wrote:
> I'm thinking this over a bit more, and it seems like the best thing
> for Gentoo (or any distro) is a lot of users.  More users must mean
> more active developers, and more active developers must mean an
> increased rate of growth for the software.
>
> I believe the great benefit of Gentoo is its flexibility, and
> flexibility is like a meta-benefit because it makes possible any other
> benefit.  What do you think makes Ubuntu the distro of the moment?  Is
> it ease-of-use?  If Gentoo focused more on ease-of-use aspects of the
> Ubuntu variety, they would attract more users and thereby increase the
> rate of growth for the software.
>
> Popular migration from one distro to the next sends a very important
> signal to any distro that wants to grow.

Methinks, Gentoo should stay focused.

I don't think the goal of Gentoo was to become a Desktop Distro for the people
migrating from M$ land. I don't care about ease of use. The current situation
is great for me. I DO want the flexibility and the control.

Quality matters, not the quantity.

I'm not against ease of use. Its always welcome. I guess its up to the devs
and the Council to decide on what Gentoo wants to be and for whom. Trying to
cater too many different categories of people is shooting yourself in the
foot.

Mrugesh Karnik
GPG Key 0xBA6F1DA8
Public key on http://wwwkeys.pgp.net