Hi,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:04:11 +0800
"Chuanwen Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just setup a gentoo in my dell1400 laptop,and until now,the sound
> problem is not solved yet.
>
> Here is the problem:
> $ aplay 01.mp3
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory

This indicates that the dmix module (NOT kernel, but alsa-lib!) might
be missing.

I ran into some similar problems, I think they modified the way
alsa-lib is configured and made it more fine-grained. Missing an
ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS setting in my /etc/make.conf, I had no plugins at all.

So I suggest to check your /etc/make.conf, and if not present and you
want minimum hassle, append that line to /etc/make.conf:
---snip
ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw copy dshare dsnoop extplug file hooks ladspa
lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null rate route share shm"
---snip
(works for me)
then re-emerge alsa-lib.

> And here is my hardware: