Hi,

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:50:16 +0800
"Chuanwen Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > No, /dev/dsp is OSS stuff. Aplay shouldn't use that. But it makes me
> > wonder whether snd_pcm_oss is loaded?
> Yes,have loaded it:
> $ lsmod | grep snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm_oss            39648  0
> snd_mixer_oss          14912  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                73800  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
> snd                    50216  6
> snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer

Odd. /dev/dsp should be present under these circumstances. But the
other things below explain that:

> I am sure I have re-run alsaconf and both the /etc/asound.state and
> /var/lib/alsa/asound.state 's content are:
>  # cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
> state.Intel {
>         control {
>         }
> }

Hm, so it seems there were problems with the mixer at that stage, too.
That file should contain settings for the various controls.

> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                       HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000 irq 21

So the kernel is interfacing it correctly, but only in parts:

>  $ cat /proc/asound/devices
>   0: [ 0]   : control
>   1:        : sequencer
>  33:        : timer
>
> Here is the output of strace aplay and I hope it dose not bother you
> and I also attach it as a annex.
> [...]
> open("/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
> or directory)

The playback and capture devices are completely missing, and udev
therefore didn't create /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p (PCM, card 0, device 0,
playback channel). The only explanation I can suggest is
broken/incomplete kernel/alsa-drivers support for your device. Does the
machine have BIOS settings for sound? What about the audio related
kernel log output?

In any case, you should probably use the separate alsa-driver from
portage, preferably the newest (unstable in portage) version. There
were many changes (some of them adding support for more devices for the
hda driver) that are not yet in the kernel ALSA tree.

-hwh