2007/10/13, Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:23:35 +0800
> "Chuanwen Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Yes,both my Windows XP and another linux os Redflag have sound. Is
> > there anyway that I can use  the Redflag's modules to driver my
> > gentoo?
>
> Only by using its kernel, too. Then you would just copy the kernel (and
> initrd, if needed, but this might be a bag of problems if the initrd
> depends on stuff from the base system) from /boot and the according
> module tree from /lib/modules.
Oh, I just forgot that the Redflag is a i386 OS but the gentoo is
amd64 OS.  So gentoo can't use the Redflag's modules and kernel(vice
versa).

> I think it would at least be interesting what /proc/asound/version is
> like on the redflag distro. Also it would be interesting if they use
> in-kernel ALSA or separate drivers and if the latter is the case, then
> they might provide source packages -- which potentially include patches
> that add support for your device.

Let 's have a look at the Redflag's alsa information:(all the
operations I did below were in the Redflag OS)
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000 irq 20
                           *******in gentoo it is "irq 21" here. **********

# cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14rc3.
Compiled on Jul 25 2007 for kernel 2.6.22.1-9 (SMP).

I notice that the alsa version is 1.0.14rc3 which is the unstable one
before 1.0.14. But I tried 1.0.14rc3, and the result is as similar as
when I use in-kernel alsa driver.

# grep  SND /boot/config-2.6.22.1-9
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_RTCTIMER_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
# CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API is not set
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=m
CONFIG_SND_OPL3_LIB=m
CONFIG_SND_OPL4_LIB=m
CONFIG_SND_VX_LIB=m
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_MTPAV=m
CONFIG_SND_MTS64=m
# CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
CONFIG_SND_MPU401=m
CONFIG_SND_PORTMAN2X4=m
CONFIG_SND_CS4231_LIB=m
CONFIG_SND_ADLIB=m
# CONFIG_SND_AD1816A is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AD1848 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ALS100 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AZT2320 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CMI8330 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4231 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4232 is not set
CONFIG_SND_CS4236=m
# CONFIG_SND_DT019X is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES968 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1688 is not set
CONFIG_SND_ES18XX=m
# CONFIG_SND_GUSCLASSIC is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSEXTREME is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSMAX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTERWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTERWAVE_STB is not set
CONFIG_SND_OPL3SA2=m
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI92X_AD1848 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI92X_CS4231 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI93X is not set
CONFIG_SND_MIRO=m
# CONFIG_SND_SB8 is not set
CONFIG_SND_SB16=m
CONFIG_SND_SBAWE=m
# CONFIG_SND_SB16_CSP is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SND_WAVEFRONT is not set
CONFIG_SND_AD1889=m
CONFIG_SND_ALS300=m
CONFIG_SND_ALS4000=m
CONFIG_SND_ALI5451=m
CONFIG_SND_ATIIXP=m
CONFIG_SND_ATIIXP_MODEM=m
CONFIG_SND_AU8810=m
CONFIG_SND_AU8820=m
CONFIG_SND_AU8830=m
CONFIG_SND_AZT3328=m
CONFIG_SND_BT87X=m
# CONFIG_SND_BT87X_OVERCLOCK is not set
CONFIG_SND_CA0106=m
CONFIG_SND_CMIPCI=m
CONFIG_SND_CS4281=m
CONFIG_SND_CS46XX=m
CONFIG_SND_CS46XX_NEW_DSP=y
CONFIG_SND_CS5535AUDIO=m
CONFIG_SND_DARLA20=m
CONFIG_SND_GINA20=m
CONFIG_SND_LAYLA20=m
CONFIG_SND_DARLA24=m
CONFIG_SND_GINA24=m
CONFIG_SND_LAYLA24=m
CONFIG_SND_MONA=m
CONFIG_SND_MIA=m
CONFIG_SND_ECHO3G=m
CONFIG_SND_INDIGO=m
CONFIG_SND_INDIGOIO=m
CONFIG_SND_INDIGODJ=m
CONFIG_SND_EMU10K1=m
CONFIG_SND_EMU10K1X=m
CONFIG_SND_ENS1370=m
CONFIG_SND_ENS1371=m
CONFIG_SND_ES1938=m
CONFIG_SND_ES1968=m
CONFIG_SND_FM801=m
CONFIG_SND_FM801_TEA575X_BOOL=y
CONFIG_SND_FM801_TEA575X=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
CONFIG_SND_HDSP=m
CONFIG_SND_HDSPM=m
CONFIG_SND_ICE1712=m
CONFIG_SND_ICE1724=m
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=m
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0M=m
CONFIG_SND_KORG1212=m
CONFIG_SND_KORG1212_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3=m
CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXART=m
CONFIG_SND_NM256=m
CONFIG_SND_PCXHR=m
CONFIG_SND_RIPTIDE=m
CONFIG_SND_RME32=m
CONFIG_SND_RME96=m
CONFIG_SND_RME9652=m
CONFIG_SND_SONICVIBES=m
CONFIG_SND_TRIDENT=m
CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=m
CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX_MODEM=m
CONFIG_SND_VX222=m
CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI=m
CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE=y
CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_SND_USB_USX2Y=m
# CONFIG_SND_USB_CAIAQ is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VXPOCKET is not set
# CONFIG_SND_PDAUDIOCF is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SOC is not set

And from the option of the kernel-config file above, I think Redflag
uses the in-kernel driver.

> Before trying all that: Did you had a look at the kernel log (use
> "dmesg")? Were there errors or warnings around the lines that were
> printed when the ALSA driver was loaded?
When I do #modprobe snd_hda_intel(or #alsaconf), I can see the message
below appending to the ouput of dmesg:
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
stac92xx_auto_fill_dac_nids: No available DAC for pin 0x0

> When you emerge alsa-drivers, also make sure that there are no stale
> in-kernel modules in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/sound/*. You can
> delete them manually, just run "depmod -ae" afterwards.
>
> > Where can I get the audio related kernel log output?
>
> look at the output of "dmesg" (e.g. piping it to "less": dmesg|less).
> However, for me (different card and all works well), there is zero
> output. You might change that by enabling ALSA debug output in kernel
> configuration, though... But I'm not sure whether that's worth it.
>
> > > In any case, you should probably use the separate alsa-driver from
> > > portage, preferably the newest (unstable in portage) version. There
> > > were many changes (some of them adding support for more devices for the
> > > hda driver) that are not yet in the kernel ALSA tree.
> > >
> > I have tried the version (~)1.0.15_rc2,which I heard from someone in
> > some webpages that it could drive my hda sound card,but it still can't
> > in my machine.
I have tried the alsa-driver-(~)1.0.15_rc2 again to  see the what the
details of problem is.
And when I did  alsaconf, I got a new error below:

Running modules-update...
 * Please run 'update-modules' from now on; 'modules-update' is going away
 * Updating modules.dep ...                                               [ ok ]
 *   ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers                              [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
alsactl: unrecognized option `---'
Usage: alsactl <options> command

Available options:
  -h,--help        this help
  -f,--file #      configuration file (default /etc/asound.state or
/etc/asound.names)
  -F,--force       try to restore the matching controls as much as possible
  -d,--debug       debug mode
  -v,--version     print version of this program

Available commands:
  store   <card #> save current driver setup for one or each soundcards
                   to configuration file
  restore <card #> load current driver setup for one or each soundcards
                   from configuration file
  names   <card #> dump information about all the known present (sub-)devices
                   into configuration file (DEPRECATED)
 * Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring                              [ ok ]
Setting default volumes...
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device

When I used the one with version 1.0.14, which is a stable one, there
was no such error.
Before I re-merge the alsa-driver-(~)1.0.15_rc2, I changed my
kernel-config. I think it should not be the cause of the alsa problem
above, but I just paste it below.
Here is the my current kernel-config related:

Loadable module support  --->
    [*] Enable loadable module support

Device Drivers  --->
    Character devices --->
        <*> Enhanced Real Time Clock Support
    Sound  --->
        <M> Sound card Support
            Advanced Linux Sound Architecture  --->
                < > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
            Open Sound System  --->
                < > Open Sound System (DEPRECATED)

> The newer ALSA versions are at least supposed to handle the hda betterr
> w/ regard to supported hardware configurations. Doing a little
> recherche for the little I know about your laptop, I came across this
> thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg20707.html
> which seems to indicate similar problems which were partly solved by a
> newer version of alsa-driver. When experimenting with out-of-kernel
> drivers, always keep an eye on potential conflicts in
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r), and compare /proc/asound/version against what
> you think it should be.

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.15rc2.
Compiled on Oct 14 2007 for kernel 2.6.22-suspend2-r2 (SMP).

I am sure the information above is right.
> The thread also indicates that problems with HDA based audio is not a
> seldom thing to see.
>
> You can download newer versions of alsa-driver from their homepage and
> experiment with it in /usr/local/src. Currently they offer -1.0.15rc3,
> you might want to try it, it lists changes w/ regard to the hda driver.
> http://www.alsa-project.org/

oh, my network can't reach it.
> > And the one of version 9999, I think I can never emerge it:
> >  * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                     [
> > ok ]
> >  * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [
> > ok ]
> >  * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                   [
> > ok ]
> >  * hg clone http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel ...
> > real URL is http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel/
> > requesting all changes
> > adding changesets
> >
> > The network is so slow and this status has already keep couples of  hours.
>
> Yes, that's the culprit with distributed versioning systems. You have
> to download the full change history. I've not used mercurial recently,
> so I don't have a suggestion how to only download HEAD or something
> like that, if that's possible at all.
>
> I think at the moment there is no point in using a current Mercurial
> checkout. From what I see on
> http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver/
> the last changes after 1.0.15rc3 don't matter in your case, so start
> trying that (as said, you can download it from their homepage).
>
> -hwh
> --

wcw