Hi,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:53:42 +0800
"Chuanwen Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can't find the /dev/dsp :
> # ls /dev/dsp
> ls: cannot access /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> My os is a 64bit gentoo, so may it be the problem?

No, /dev/dsp is OSS stuff. Aplay shouldn't use that. But it makes me
wonder whether snd_pcm_oss is loaded?

Anyway, that shouldn't bother us here, that's not used by aplay. (BTW:
For me, aplay will play noise when trying to play an MP3, but at least
it *does* play something)

Do you by chance have some older /etc/asound.* files around? Did you
try re-running alsaconf?

If all this doesn't work, try running strace on the aplay process (call
"strace aplay") and post back some output. Also, the contents
of /proc/asound/cards and /proc/asound/devices might be interesting.

-hwh