On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 07:01 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 07:02 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> >
> >> Apparently my xorg.conf file has been missing for some time.  I made a
> >> full backup of /etc on March 1, and it isn't in that one.  This may be a
> >> stupid question, but is there a way I can generate an xorg.conf file?  I
> >> thought there used to be a way, way back when before modular X came out,
> >> but I can't remember where I saw it...
> >
> > It was a stupid question.  I have the built-in config right here.
> > Unfortunately I don't seem to have an old xorg.conf to compare it
> > against.  I have saved this built-in configuration to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > so that maybe I can tweak it into working with mythfrontend:
> >
> > camille ~ # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >        Section "Device"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
> >                Driver  "intel"
> >        EndSection
> >        Section "Screen"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
> >                Device  "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
> >        EndSection
> >        Section "Device"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
> >                Driver  "fbdev"
> >        EndSection
> >        Section "Screen"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
> >                Device  "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
> >        EndSection
> >        Section "Device"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> >                Driver  "vesa"
> >        EndSection
> >        Section "Screen"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
> >                Device  "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> >        EndSection
> >        Section "ServerLayout"
> >                Identifier      "Builtin Default Layout"
> >                Screen  "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
> >                Screen  "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
> >                Screen  "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
> >        EndSection
> >
> > Can anyone see anything in this that might cause mythfrontend to
> > segfault?  I made changes to config and rebuild xorg-server according to
> > the X upgrade guide last night, and I'm rebuilding mythtv as we speak...
> >

> Yeah, that's what I *think* had when I was segfaulting. Note that it's
> a little unclear to me. I just saw that listing in the Xorg.0.log file
> and decided to believe that it was what Xorg was using at the time,
> but how would I really know?
>
> I'm attaching the xorg.conf file (renamed so you can download it
> without overwriting anything) that I am currently using. mythfrontend
> does not segfault on my system when I place this in /etc/X11. You'll
> need to modify it by hand I suppose for your draphics adapter,
> monitor, etc. Hopefully it will give you some ideas. I'm not saying
> it's a great config file. Only that my system is not segfaulting when
> I use it.

> [...]

I shut down  xdm and tried to restart it with your config file.  It
wouldn't start because it couldn't find the freetype module.  Is that a
kernel module, and if so, what does the kernel call it?  I searched for
freetype in the kernel menuconfig and couldn't find it, and couldn't
find it in x11-drivers.  I have media-libs/freetype installed, but I
remerged it and X still wouldn't start.  It does start with the
xorg.conf file that I get from the  X log.  Just in case, here's my
media-freetype info:
camille ~ # emerge -pv freetype

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.3.8  USE="X debug -bindist -doc
-fontforge -utils" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB