On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 20:30 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 16:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> >> The big change here today, other than the updates, was to rename
> >> xorg.conf to xorg.conf.old and reboot to try out lett hald set up the
> >> video stuff. I'm suspecting that may be the culprit?
> >>
> >> - Mark
> >>

> > I don't even seem to have an xorg.conf.old or even an xorg.conf:
> >
> > camille X11 # ls
> > Sessions  app-defaults  dm   lbxproxy  proxymngr  startDM.sh  wmconfig
> > xinit  xloadimagerc       xserver
> > X         chooser.sh    gdm  mwm       rstart     twm         xdm
> > xkb    xorg.conf.example  xsm
> >
> > Yet somehow, X is running.  Any ideas on this one?
> >

> Yes, that's exactly the same setup I had when I had the segfault.
> Under the old xorg-x11 you had an xorg.conf file which set everything
> up specifically as you wanted it. The new xorg-x11 is trying to change
> that, but only defaults to the new way if:
>
> 1) You turn on hald
> 2) You have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" in /etc/make.conf when you build the
> new xorg-x11
> 3) You remove or rename your old xorg.conf to some other name.
>
> When there is no xorg.conf file apparently the new version attempts to
> use hald to determine your hardware and set things up automatically.
> It works, or did for me, in the sense that X comes up and I can see
> Gnome. However in that mode mythfrontend was segfaulting. I then took
> my copied  xorg.conf.old file and renamed it back to xorg.conf,
> restarted X and mythfrontend didn't segfault anymore.
>
> You should take a look at /var/log/Xorg.o.log file carefully.
> Somewhere in that file there is a sort of picture of how the new
> xorg.conf file is being handled automatically - it shows 3 screens in
> my case - one using my radeon driver and the other two using vesa and
> fbdev. My old xorg.conf didn't have all that stuff - only radeon - and
> the old one works.
>
> One other thought I had was that maybe mythfrontend needs to be
> rebuilt after the conversion to the new xorg-x11. Maybe it's not
> linking correctly against the new libraries. I don't know.
>
> Hope this helps. If you need or want more info let me know.
>
> - Mark

Apparently my xorg.conf file has been missing for some time.  I made a
full backup of /etc on March 1, and it isn't in that one.  This may be a
stupid question, but is there a way I can generate an xorg.conf file?  I
thought there used to be a way, way back when before modular X came out,
but I can't remember where I saw it...