On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 08:23 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I wasn't suggesting that my file would work for you. My monitor and
> yours are certainly different. you may not be using the radeon driver.
>
> You need to create a good xorg.conf file for yourself. You can just
> comment out the FreeType line. I'm assuming you did move my file to
> /etc/X11? If so it should not be using the default anymore.
>
> This is probably beyond my scope at this point. Do you possibly have
> an older xorg.conf file in a backup somewhere that used to work? If
> not I'm not sure what you might try. Probably time to file a bug
> report. If you do I'll certainly add my 2 cents on the subject.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I found an old old xorg.conf, but I couldn't boot X with it.  X said
that it couldn't parse the config file.  I'm not even sure how to
convert it to the new xorg format, even manually.  I have attached the
old xorg.conf file.  Maybe someone can make sense of it.
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      320   240     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "LTN"
        ModelName    "e1770NSL/T"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"                # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                       # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"              # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"                  # [<bool>]
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Intel Corp."
        BoardName   "Unknown Board"