On Monday 13 April 2009 21:52:11 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 08:23 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I wasn't suggesting that my file would work for you. My monitor and
> > yours are certainly different. you may not be using the radeon driver.
> >
> > You need to create a good xorg.conf file for yourself. You can just
> > comment out the FreeType line. I'm assuming you did move my file to
> > /etc/X11? If so it should not be using the default anymore.
> >
> > This is probably beyond my scope at this point. Do you possibly have
> > an older xorg.conf file in a backup somewhere that used to work? If
> > not I'm not sure what you might try. Probably time to file a bug
> > report. If you do I'll certainly add my 2 cents on the subject.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> I found an old old xorg.conf, but I couldn't boot X with it.  X said
> that it couldn't parse the config file.  I'm not even sure how to
> convert it to the new xorg format, even manually.  I have attached the
> old xorg.conf file.  Maybe someone can make sense of it.

There is nothing wrong with that xorg.conf file, it works just fine.

Tip: when requiring assistance of this nature, you absolutely have to supply
the error messages from the console or from the logs. It is almost impossible
to assist you without knowing what X said it thinks is wrong with the file.

So, try again with this config file and if it fails have a look in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log for the error messages - they are the lines starting with
(EE)

Also, there is no "new format" for this file. It still works exactly the way
it always did, with the sole exception that when using hal, the InputDevice
sections are not needed. Simply delete those parts, or comment them out.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com