On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 16:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> The big change here today, other than the updates, was to rename
>> xorg.conf to xorg.conf.old and reboot to try out lett hald set up the
>> video stuff. I'm suspecting that may be the culprit?
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> I don't even seem to have an xorg.conf.old or even an xorg.conf:
>
> camille X11 # ls
> Sessions  app-defaults  dm   lbxproxy  proxymngr  startDM.sh  wmconfig
> xinit  xloadimagerc       xserver
> X         chooser.sh    gdm  mwm       rstart     twm         xdm
> xkb    xorg.conf.example  xsm
>
> Yet somehow, X is running.  Any ideas on this one?

Yes, that's exactly the same setup I had when I had the segfault.
Under the old xorg-x11 you had an xorg.conf file which set everything
up specifically as you wanted it. The new xorg-x11 is trying to change
that, but only defaults to the new way if:

1) You turn on hald
2) You have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" in /etc/make.conf when you build the
new xorg-x11
3) You remove or rename your old xorg.conf to some other name.

When there is no xorg.conf file apparently the new version attempts to
use hald to determine your hardware and set things up automatically.
It works, or did for me, in the sense that X comes up and I can see
Gnome. However in that mode mythfrontend was segfaulting. I then took
my copied  xorg.conf.old file and renamed it back to xorg.conf,
restarted X and mythfrontend didn't segfault anymore.

You should take a look at /var/log/Xorg.o.log file carefully.
Somewhere in that file there is a sort of picture of how the new
xorg.conf file is being handled automatically - it shows 3 screens in
my case - one using my radeon driver and the other two using vesa and
fbdev. My old xorg.conf didn't have all that stuff - only radeon - and
the old one works.

One other thought I had was that maybe mythfrontend needs to be
rebuilt after the conversion to the new xorg-x11. Maybe it's not
linking correctly against the new libraries. I don't know.

Hope this helps. If you need or want more info let me know.

- Mark