Hello again

We've tried recently to render our maps on Graphics other than the
screen (e.g., Batik's SVGGraphics and Graphics for printing). Almost
everything shows up nicely, BUT.. all the SVGs used as ExternalGraphics
in our SLDs suck big time.

It looks like all SVG ExternalGraphics are rendered first to an image
(ending up as a GraphicStyle2D) and only then drawn on the target
Graphics. In my view, this has several problems:
1. As expected, sending this to a printer with 1200dpi will really not
yield the results we would like to see
2. Right now, the procedure ignores any previous scaling applied to the
Graphics
3. Now that we have nice PointSymbolizers with variable size (due to the
UOM feature), we end up with the annoying effect of blowing up memory
when we come too close, since the BufferedImage used to store the
rendered SVG becomes way too large.

I have some ideas of how to fix this, but I've seen previous posts
talking about this already.
http://www.mail-archive.com/geotools-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg13468.html

So, my question (mainly to Andrea) is: what is the current status of
these changes? Is there a way to make SVGs render as vectors right now?
Is there partial work already done that we should build on?

Cheers
Milton

--

Milton Jonathan