Milton Jonathan ha scritto:
> Hi there
>
> Hmm, nobody seemed to notice this e-mail (or everybody was too busy to
> answer). Could someone give me a hint as to whether there is any known
> alternative to this issue, or if you would like us to provide one?

The second one (too busy to breath, luckily that's automated).

>> We've tried recently to render our maps on Graphics other than the
>> screen (e.g., Batik's SVGGraphics and Graphics for printing). Almost
>> everything shows up nicely, BUT.. all the SVGs used as ExternalGraphics
>> in our SLDs suck big time.
>>
>> It looks like all SVG ExternalGraphics are rendered first to an image
>> (ending up as a GraphicStyle2D) and only then drawn on the target
>> Graphics. In my view, this has several problems:
>> 1. As expected, sending this to a printer with 1200dpi will really not
>> yield the results we would like to see
>> 2. Right now, the procedure ignores any previous scaling applied to the
>> Graphics
>> 3. Now that we have nice PointSymbolizers with variable size (due to the
>> UOM feature), we end up with the annoying effect of blowing up memory
>> when we come too close, since the BufferedImage used to store the
>> rendered SVG becomes way too large.

Hmmm... this will happen with external PNGs as well. They are not
uncommon. Some JAI magic is going to be necessary to rescale the image
without the need to use a ton of memory.

>> I have some ideas of how to fix this, but I've seen previous posts
>> talking about this already.
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/geotools-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg13468.html
>>

>> So, my question (mainly to Andrea) is: what is the current status of
>> these changes? Is there a way to make SVGs render as vectors right now?
>> Is there partial work already done that we should build on?

There is nothing at all. There is no funding on rendering coming in,
the few things I've done in the last months rendering related I've done
in my spare time.

The resolved styles (Style2D subclasses) should learn to deal with
Icon instead of an image, a SVG Icon subclass should be generated
and returned by the SVG renderer, and the StyledShapePainter should be
modified to use it.
And oh, since rendering SVG is quite slow, there should be
a flag to decide whether to activate the above path, or keep the more
efficient one we have now.

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org