Hi,

I was (and still am) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the past week without
any Internet , and that is why I have been quiet on this topic.

That which I have seen is correct and seems to be zeroing in on the
issues:

o lobbying
o membership

and I believe that for the most part GNHLUG could go either way, as a
"3" or a "6".

People are correct regarding the lobbying of a "person who happens to be
a member of GNHLUG" and GNHLUG itself.  And it is correct that the "3"
can lobby to a certain extent, but it can not be a "significant" amount
of its revenues/effort, etc.  A "6" does not have limitations on this,
which is why you will probably find trade unions and groups like AARP as
a "6" rather than a "3".  I think the implications to GNHLUG would
probably be strongest if we, as a group, decided to have a booth at
a trade show to lobby against patents (for instance).  If the booth was
funded by individual members of GNHLUG, staffed by people who happened
to be members of GNHLUG, etc. there would be no problem.  On the other
hand if GNHLUG voted as a group to use their funds (and a major portion
of their funds) to "lobby" with this booth, then things might get a
little sticky.  This has been my experience with USENIX, which is a
501(c)3 and who is constantly diligent about exactly what they do with
their monies along these lines.

I suggested a 501(c)6 at the time because under the current
administration USENIX was advised that they were clamping down on
501(c)3 submissions, and that it was easier to get a 501(c)6.  If you
wanted to apply for a "3", fine, but USENIX's lawyer was saying it was
harder to get, and seeing that we have a lot of strong-willed people in
our group who might want to have the group actively lobby for things, I
suggested going the route of the "6".  If we wanted to do more
"charitable" things in the future, we could also set up a sister
organization as a 501(c)3 (or utilize the one mentioned earlier in the
thread) to capture donated money for special events, projects, etc.

My two cents.

Warmest regards from Ethiopia,

md