On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:59:44 -0400
Ed lawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Talking to state executive officials, to
> administrative people at all levels of state and local government,
> Selectmen, and School Boards about the advantages of Linux and FOSS is
> not lobbying. Presenting views on legislation to members of the
> legislature is lobbying.

Right.  I was once (OK, more than once) in Concord talking to elected
officials about free software in voting.  At one point I was asked if
I had registered as a lobbyist.  I made a trip over to the library,
discovered that the RSA are quite specific, and that a citizen who is
conveying a personal opinion to an official or a legislator is a
citizen, not a lobbyist.

Joining GNHLUG would not deprive anyone of citizens' privileges.

GNHLUG itself will presumably *not* write letters or try to persuade
officials of anything.  GNHLUG won't, presumably, be hiring anyone to
do that either.  (Being paid to do that does make someone a lobbyist
under the RSA.)

-Bill