With satellite, you are going to be stuck with the latency. Some of the
sattelite systems have a dialup component, and others, like Starband are
two-way.
A friend of mine in Nebraska found an ISP that provides wireless.
Does AT&T give any estimates as to when Cable Internet will be available.

Another possibility is ISDN(a bit better than dialup). Verizon has been
very slow to set up tarrifs that make this cost effective.

Marc's recommendation to set up a community to share a high speed
connection via wireless might be workable. Essentially, this is how cable
TV got started.

On 18 Feb 2002 at 15:56, Paul Lussier wrote:

> In a message dated: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:53:18 EST
> Benjamin Scott said:
>
> >  We don't normally think of TCP as an interactive application.  Believe me,
> >when you've got latency like that, it is.  Web browsing is agonizing.
> >Forget anything like Telnet, SSH, IRC, VoIP, etc.
> >
> >  Also, the service is very heavily centered around MS-Windows, and they do
> >some goofy things with routing (like hand out default routes which are
> >unreachable without manual routing table updates).
>
> So what I'm hearing is, stay with dial-up :(
>
> Okay, next question then, anyone have any ideas on how to get Verizon
> or AT&T to get off their collective behinds and get either DSL or
> cable-modem access into a town?  I currently can not get either
> service (local CO is *not* equipped for DSL by *anyone* and AT&T is
> not offering cable modem access in my town, which is a former
> cablevision town!).
>

> Seeya,
> Paul (who is starving for high-speed internet access)

Jerry Feldman
Portfolio Partner Engineering
508-467-4315 http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/linux/

Compaq Computer Corp.