On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> True. Ziplink, the ISP in Lowell, at one time had a very extensive set of
> web pages on ISDN and how to order it.
> ISDN (for consumer use) is broken up into 3 channels:
> 2 are 64K and the third is for control. You can bind the 2 64K channels
> into one for an effective 128K. DOVB, I think, is limited to 56K, but it is
> a digital bidirectional 56K where you analog 56K is never going to be above
> 50 (on a dialup), and it's assymetrical.

and most ISDN devices support bonding those two together for 112K, which
isn't bad.

> Before you order ISDN, check with the ISP on their recommendations.
> When ordering ISDN, the phone company used to be clueless.

Yeah, they're still pretty bad. FWIW I actually have VISDN (Virtual ISDN)
as the switch in Jaffrey can't handle ISDN, so my local calling area for
the ISDN numbers is Keene. A little funky at times but works fairly well
none the less.

It's gone out a couple of times...but usually fixed fairly quickly. The
big problem is if it fails on the weekends, when the ISDN people don't
work!

--rdp

> On 18 Feb 2002 at 16:43, Rich Payne wrote:
>
> > > Another possibility is ISDN(a bit better than dialup). Verizon has been
> > > very slow to set up tarrifs that make this cost effective.
> >
> > ISDN isn't bad, it's not DSL or cable level bandwidth, but it is a hell of
> > a lot better than analog phone lines. The trick is of course to use Data
> > over Voice to your ISP using a local number, otherwise 24x7 access costs
> > around $1600 a month in ISDN charges!
> >
> > --rdp
> >
> > --
> > Rich Payne