This is true. AT&T BB bought Mediaone (which was previopusly owned by US West).
However, the broadband companies, which still large companies, are still much less
bureaucratic
than the phone companies. They all developed from smaller cable companies, such as
Continental CableVistion, or Cox (a broadcast and newpaper media company), Time
Warner, etc.

On 18 Feb 2002 at 17:10, Benjamin Scott wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > Currently the cable TV guys can supply analog and digital TV, digital
> > phone service, and Internet both to homes and to businesses.
>
>   Yah, and then instead of "The Phone Company", we will have "The Broadband
> Company".  Except many of those companies also have media production and
> distribution interests -- the same ones who are behind the DMCA, the DVD CCA
> CSS lawsuits, and the SSSCA.
>
>   Out of the toilet, into the sewer...
>
> --
> Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not |
> | necessarily represent the views or policy of any other person, entity or  |
> | organization.  All information is provided without warranty of any kind.  |

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9