> If the used controller you bought from some
> guy on eBay fails, or starts acting flakey, it doesn't matter what
> RAID level you're running, or how good your disks are, you'll probably
> lose data.  With controllers available so cheaply new with a warranty,
> I can't imagine that the cost savings of buying a used controller
would
> be worth the risk.  YMMV.

*sigh* I fear that this is "vaccuum tube" mentality. Unless an
electronic device has electro-mechanical parts that wear out, or has
been stressed beyond its specifications (unlikely in the average
computer chassis) it either works or it doesn't. In fact, there is
actually some added value in a piece of silicon that has been run for a
while, since most integrated circuits die after being run for a short
period of time. In fact, this is WHY manufacturers burn in their
products. So in a sense, EVERY electronic product you buy is used.

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
System Support Services