On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:26:06PM -0500, Rich Cloutier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> *sigh* I fear that this is "vaccuum tube" mentality. Unless an
> electronic device has electro-mechanical parts that wear out, or has
> been stressed beyond its specifications (unlikely in the average
> computer chassis) it either works or it doesn't. In fact, there is
> actually some added value in a piece of silicon that has been run for a
> while, since most integrated circuits die after being run for a short
> period of time. In fact, this is WHY manufacturers burn in their
> products. So in a sense, EVERY electronic product you buy is used.

    You would think so, wouldn't you?  However, one of my Netgear
FA310TX's that I've been using for about 2 years suddenly stopped
working a few weeks ago.  It wouldn't work in Win98, Linux, or in
another machine (running a fresh install of Win98).  Win98 saw it and
simply said that it wasn't working properly; Linux actually spit out
some error messages.  The link LED on my switch never went on.

    Netgear just replaced it under there lifetime warranty.

--
Bob Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>