----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: RAID Problems

>     You would think so, wouldn't you?  However, one of my Netgear
> FA310TX's that I've been using for about 2 years suddenly stopped
> working a few weeks ago.  It wouldn't work in Win98, Linux, or in
> another machine (running a fresh install of Win98).  Win98 saw it and
> simply said that it wasn't working properly; Linux actually spit out
> some error messages.  The link LED on my switch never went on.
>
>     Netgear just replaced it under there lifetime warranty.

Precisely my point. Although 2 years is a long time for a design flaw to
become evident, that was in fact the reason for the failure. You are not
the only one who has had a Netgear card stop working. That is why I now
use Linksys. While this is an unusual case, it is generally true that
once something has worked well for a while, it will tend to keep
working, _provided you don't stress it by exceeding its specifications_.

Further to my point, when it failed, it stopped working completely. It
worked, then it didn't.

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES