In a message dated: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:04:28 EST
Angus D Madden said:

>Have you checked the logs for gdm or X?  Perhaps the display manager is
>having problems.  I don't know where the logs are on RH but on Debian
>the relevant log would be /var/log/gdm/\:0.log
>
>What happens when you run init.d/gdm start (assuming you are using gdm
>and not kdm or xdm)?
>
>Where does RH sepcify the default display manager?  On Debian it's
>/etc/X11/default-display-manager

Let me try and clear something up.  I DON'T CARE THAT IT'S NOT WORKING.

I know, hard to believe, most people want something which is broken
to be fixed.  I'm merely trying to determine if this is NORMAL for
the release of the images I have.  That's it, nothing more.
(keep in mind, I'm a debian user, I left RH a long time ago for my
personal use :)

This might help clear things up.  I'm working with a friend to
develop a sysadmin training course for Boston University's Corporate
Training Program.  They have decided to use RH7.2.  I have copies of
the images that I believe they will be using.  Therefore, I simply
need to know if this is the behavior people will see, should they
follow the lab excercises I'm writing.  And if so, I'll also need to
write the directions to work around the bugs in the release.

I know how to get X working, all I need confirmed is whether or not
the behavior I'm seeing is normal.  So far I one yes, and one no,
neither of which are comletely sure, because "it's been quite a while
since I installed" in both cases.
--

Seeya,
Paul